The Office Manager leads and guides the administration functions of the organization, including developing and setting strategy for the Administrative department and developing related tactical goals, plans, programs, and effectiveness metrics. The Office Manager also creates budgets that provide the necessary resources to execute tactical plans and operational activities in administration effectively, oversees and monitors the activities in the Administration department, and provides direction, supervision, and executive leadership to the team members. The Office Manager handles Japanese expat matters and various matters associated with the parent company and its other subsidiaries. In addition, the Office Manager is responsible for developing activities that promote continuous improvement, enhance company culture, and help create a safe, comfortable, positive, collaborative working environment, including appropriately handling low-performing employees in corroboration with the HR department.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position supervises Administrative staff:
- Administrative Assistant
- Executive Assistant
- Oversees various administrative responsibilities and supervises administrative staff and related administrative duties.
- Continuously evaluates existing work processes and prospective processes to ensure the most effective use of resources. Makes recommendations for process improvements and assists with the design of work processes.
- Reviews information and updates from Tokyo Gas headquarters and ensures that necessary information is effectively communicated between relevant employees and the headquarters.
- Timely reviews non-medical insurance at competitive conditions and process necessary procedures.
- Supports the auditing process.
- Monitors workplace environment and culture and develops ideas for helping promote and maintain a positive, comfortable workplace.
- Acts as liaison for local expatriates and provides related services to expats, including payroll processing and employee inquiries, policy guidance on expenditures, individual tax filing assistance, and expat coordination with Japan Headquarters
- Monitors and oversees employee safety programs, including ensuring an effective safety plan is developed, implemented, and periodically updated. Ensures employee safety training is provided and all training records and safety reports are properly maintained.
- Oversees and monitors expatriate relocations and ensures a positive relocation experience. Performs research on current international immigration news and stays abreast of changes in policies and regulations.
- Manages payroll-related employee changes to ensure they are timely and accurately reflected in the payroll system. Partners with an outside payroll company (POSI) to ensure all changes are processed in a timely manner for upcoming pay dates.
- Assists with reconciling and reviewing payroll data, payroll tax notices, quarterly and annual tax filings, and year-end adjustments for expatriate employees, including working with 3rd party service providers.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable state, federal, and local wage and hour laws and maintains up-to-date knowledge of all payroll legislative changes and best practices.
- Provides compliance training to employees and managers, including staff and management, and maintain accurate training records.
- Oversees, reviews and approves communication of compliance issues and concerns based on relevant employment and labor laws and regulations. Ensures all related issues and handled appropriately, including required postings and government reporting requirements.
- Provides SME knowledge and technical advice on assignment-related compliance issues (e.g., immigration, new country requirements, tax, legal, and employment issues, etc.).
- Manages company litigation, including coordination with management, executives, and outside counsel to effectively handle and resolve litigation and other legal issues.
- Keeps top company management informed of legal and litigation issues and other significant risk management issues.
- Research and assess the impact of new legislation and case law to recommend changes to policies or practices.
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks, and ensuring regulatory compliance. (Relevant jurisdictions include the US and Japan)
- Acts as a trusted advisor to the organization’s executives, management, and all team members.
- Oversees IT system security and systems integration issues, including working with internal and external resources (including IT section of the parent company) to ensure system security and effectiveness is maintained.
- Monitors compliance with Company IT policies and procedures, proposing solutions to IT-related issues and assisting with approved solution implementation.
- Assists with the maintenance of the Company’s IT system; monitors system to identify potential problems; creates status and other management reports, as needed.
- Provides support on a variety of computer hardware and software issues by identifying, researching, and resolving technical problems, including working closely with 3rd party service providers.
- Conducts research for IT-related requests employee and management requests when additional detail is needed and stays current on the relevant developments in IT.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Excellent leadership skills with a strong aptitude for communicating effectively with employees at all levels.
- Thorough knowledge of state and federal employment-related laws and regulations and related compliance issues, and relevant Japanese law.
- Strong working knowledge of expatriate operations and legal requirements and managing related US immigration processes.
- Significant management experience with employee compensation programs.
- Understanding and solid experience with employee safety programs.
- Strong management experience with employee relations experience and ability to effectively investigate and resolve employee concerns.
- Highly organized, high attention to detail and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Proficient with MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Excellent communication, people skills, and emotional intelligence in a multi-cultural office environment.
- Additional IT training or related certifications is a plus.
- Proficient in both English and Japanese languages.
HR-related Certification (PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP) preferred.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, or related field.
- Significant management and hands-on experience with administration, office management, payroll, compliance and safety.
- Minimum 2 years of related experience in Business Administration, IT, or related area.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds occasionally.
 *Denotes essential function
Inquire about this position using the form below.
"*" indicates required fields